Friday, July 4, 2008

The July 4 Parade

I went to the local July 4 parade. This year I remembered to take my camera. But I did forget a couple of things -- a hat and my phone. So I was out of touch with the outside world for over an hour and the sun was shining on my head.

I like the parade, but I'm always looking way down the street for when the end is going to come. The end is given over to fire trucks and emergency vehicles, flashing their lights and blasting their sirens, so it's easy to spot.

The parade is always good, though, with the usual assortment of things: flags, veterans, a marching band, and various merchants and churches advertising their services.

I was right at the curb for the most of it -- and wasn't diving for candy being tossed out -- but a few pieces landed at my feet, and those I took. So that was a little extra bonus for my trouble.

It brings a good feeling of patriotism, even in these cynical times with corrupt leadership, to stand up for the flag when it comes by, to applaud the veterans, and to feel proud when the Air Force planes streak over the whole thing. It takes about a second for them to come into sight and earshot, and about three seconds for them to be out of sight!