Saturday, November 20, 2010

My Canned Heat Mental Block

I was out to eat last night and the subject of Canned Heat came up, thanks to me having bought a greatest hits CD earlier in the day.

Canned Heat? Yes, I explained, you probably know three of their songs. Then I could only think of two of the titles. It was one of the longest and most unsuccessfully mental blocks of my long life. I can usually overcome these mental blocks with a little time, a little thought, and going through the alphabet, and who knows what other hidden brain activity.

But not this time. I could only get the two I already had, "Let's Work Together" and "Going Up The Country." I said I was going to forget about it and enjoy the pizza, but I couldn't really do it. I did enjoy the pizza, but all the while I was going over it in my head, trying to visualize the CD case, etc., but the two songs were all that occurred to me, and by now I had the tunes in my head, blocking out any resolution of the third song.

Finally, I called someone who was at my house, and asked her to run up to my room and look up something for me. No, nothing on the computer. Just a CD. There's a CD on my desk. Read me the list of titles and I'll stop you when I hear the one I want. Well, it turned out to be the very first song on the disk! It's "On The Road Again." Of course. I said that's it! Thank you.

My bigger concern is why this mental block happened. I really know these songs.